What is Final Rule RIN 2137-AF09?
PHMSA's Response to Petitions
The regulated community has spoken and PHMSA has answered! The US DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMAS) has issued a Final Rule to amend HMR, 49 CFR parts 171-180 on November 7, 2018. In doing so, PHMSA aims to update, clarify, streamline, [and]provide relief from miscellaneous regulatory requirements.
The effective date, as well as the incorporation by reference date, went into effect December 7, 2018, while the voluntary compliancedate was November 7, 2018.The delayed compliancedate: (unless otherwise specified) is required beginning November 7, 2019.
Listed below are some of the HMR highlights adopted in the Final Rule:
· Use of electronic signatures when completing EPA forms 8700-22 and 8700-22A
· Addresses inconsistencies between Us and international labels and placarding (specifically to §§?172.519(f) and 172.407(f) of the HMR)
· Allow for combination packages tested with liquid hazardous materials to transport solid hazardous materials
· Allow for the use of plastic, metal pallets, or composite pallets to ship limited quantities of hazardous materials
· Revision to §?172.604(d)(1) so that it may be applicable to limited quantities and excepted quantities as well.
It is the goal of this update to make these requirements easier to understand in the hopes to promote safer transportation practices, eliminate unnecessary requirements, and facilitate international commerce.
For a full review of the changes and updates click HERE!